Why you should go to the Butcher's!!

Two words: Horse. Meat. Now like any foodie I'm not completely against the idea of eating horse meat and if it were on a menu somewhere like France (where is it legally edible) I'd probably give it a go for the experience. However, I'm sure most of you would agree, I certainly wouldn't want to find any in my 'beef' lasagne!

Recent scandals aside, I have always been a huge supporter of small local businesses. Especially in the food sector, be it cafes, pubs, bakeries or butcheries. The produce on offer is in most cases local and the quality can be completely assured. What's more, small business owners tend to be good to regular customers and there are definitely deals are to be had.

Plus, the meat winds up a lot better value than the stuff you find in a supermarket because supermarkets generally pump their meat with water to increase the weight, something a butcher certainly wouldn't do.

Back home we're lucky enough to be a stone's throw away from a wonderful butcher's and we get all our meet from there. So when I moved to Bristol for university, I was keen to find myself somewhere to buy good quality meat. Having had a quick Google, I came across findabutcher.co.uk, which is a truly great website. Simply type in your postcode and a list of butcher's local to you pop up - perfect!!

I also discovered on my internet quest that many butcher's offer a delivery service and there are often bargains to be had! A particular mention must go out to Hobbs House which is the bakery/butcher's run by "The Fabulous Baker Brothers" as seen on Channel 4. Not only do they deliver a wonderful selection of breads, but they offer two different varieties of "meat box" which can be delivered to any part of the UK.

As it seemed the best value for me, taking bus journeys etc. into account I elected for a delivery of one of the said meat boxes from Hobbs House. And here it is!



£30 plus postage and packaging gets you:

Medium Roasting Joint
Finest Steak Mince 350g
Stewing Steak 400g
Homemade sausages x4
Free Range Chicken legs x2
Drycure Unsmoked Bacon x4 rashers
Free Range Rare Breed Pork Steaks x2

Incredibly great value if you're careful with portioning, and make sure to make the most of your meat. I'll be posting the recipes for what I did with mine very soon!

Comments

Popular Posts