From the Butcher's: Badass Bacon Butty

Now, I know this may seem like an insult to your intelligence - who can't make a bacon sarnie, right? But this isn't just any bacon butty... The point of this post is to divulge a secret that will change your bacon loving life.

I cook my bacon in tomato ketchup! This technique has been passed down to me from my step-grandad Tommy and as soon as I found out about it I haven't looked back. The ketchup forms a sweet coating on the salty bacon as well as imparting its wonderful tangy flavour. We all know that bacon and tomato is an age old tasty combination and this recipe takes it to all new heights!

Another important factor in the perfect bacon sandwich is a good substantial bread to soak up the juicy goodness. I go for a granary seeded loaf for added texture and good soak-up-ability but a simple sliced white does the job just as well. I also think a generous serving of butter is essential too!


As for cooking the bacon, I use a dry frying pan on a fairly high heat, relying on the bacon fat to render down and create enough moisture to stop it sticking. Brown the bacon slightly on each side before adding a good squidge of ketchup (around ½ tbsp per rasher). Be sure to move the bacon around frequently so that every inch of it has some ketchup-y loveliness!

And there, ladies and gentlemen, we have it. My perfect bacon butty to be enjoyed as an excellent hangover cure, crowd-pleasing family feast or simply when you just need some bacon in your life. Go on, treat yourself!!


Comments

  1. This post spoke to me on a deep and emotional level.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts