Homemade Mayonnaise

I hate waste so whenever I make meringues or use egg whites in a recipe, I can't help but make mayonnaise with the leftover yolks. In this recipe, I only had one yolk to use up and I didn't have any Dijon so I used wholegrain mustard instead. I'm pleased to report that it worked a treat and you can happily double or triple the recipe as needed.

In terms of the oil, I wouldn't use just extra virgin olive oil as it can be quite overpowering and bitter. A neutral oil like sunflower should be the majority with other oils added for flavour in small quantities. If you don't have the patience to whip the mixture by hand, you can of course use a food processor. Just keep the blade running and add the oil in drips.

Homemade Mayonnaise

1 free-range egg yolk 
1 tsp mustard 
100ml extra virgin olive oil
150ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar 
½ lemon
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk the egg yolk in a bowl with the mustard until well combined.

Gradually add about half the oil, very slowly at first, whisking continuously for around 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Once you’ve added about half the oil, whisk in the vinegar – this will loosen the mixture slightly and give it a paler colour. 

Continue to gradually add the remaining oil, whisking continuously. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Store in a sterilised jar in the fridge for up to one week.

Comments

Popular Posts