Sensational Southern-Fried (Baked) Chicken

I've always wanted to make my own fried chicken but the thought of deep-frying big pieces of chicken kind of scares me for three reasons. 1) That it'll be raw in the middle and burnt on the outside 2) That I'm usually cooking for more than four people and I really don't have a pan big enough 3) That it'll be greasy and stodgy and not at all good for me.

I now have the solution! This recipe is not only baked (so you have total control over the cooking, can cook for as many people as you like and there's little to no grease involved) but it's also gluten-free and FINGER-LICKIN' GOOD! My not-so secret blend of spices is to die for, the ground almonds give more crunch than flour ever could and the marination in buttermilk makes for the juiciest, most tender chicken you've ever tasted. So have no fear and make this ASAP!

Sensational Southern-Fried Chicken 
Serves 6-8 

10 skinless chicken pieces, bone-in 
600ml buttermilk 
200g ground almonds 
2 tsp smoked paprika 
1 tsp cayenne pepper 
2 tsp ground cumin 
2 tsp sea salt 
1 tsp dried thyme 
1 tsp dried oregano 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tbsp oil
To serve:
Bangin' Broccoli 'Slaw
Green salad
Potato (or celeriac!) wedges

Put the chicken pieces and the buttermilk into a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper, mix and leave in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 4 hours but ideally overnight. 

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a roasting tin with baking paper.

Mix the ground almonds with all the herbs and spices in a large bowl. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk and get rid of any excess. Place the chicken pieces one by one in the ground almond mixture and coat well. Place the coated pieces into the roasting tin. Drizzle over the oil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately - I like mine with chips and coleslaw!


Comments

  1. I am also a student and I have been inspired by your blog but I have only just started mines. Please can you check it out?

    Blog: costanzamcintosh.wix.com/tamera/apps/blog

    Facebook: www.facebook.com/AmuseBouche.Costanza

    Please spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks good! If I'm ever in Bulgaria I'll have to give Restaurant Riviera a go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts