Banoffee Cheesecake with Salted Caramel

Okay, so two nights ago I ventured into previously unknown territories, in the recesses of a student bar in the heart of Bristol, I entered my first ever (and potentially last!) Cheesecake Competition!

I'm an avid member of the Cheese Soc at uni and every year they hold a competition to find Bristol's best cheesecake. In first year, I was too scared and not much of a baker, in second year, I was away on the night of the event but this year, my third and final year, I thought "what the hell?" and put myself in the ring! My creation was based on a Banoffee Pie only it has a salted caramel cheesecake filling, a layer of caramelised bananas, a chocolatey oaty 'buttery biscuit base' and rather a lot of dark chocolate shavings sprinkled over the top. It's basically dessert heaven and I highly recommend you give a bash yourself!

Banoffee Cheesecake with Salted Caramel

150g chocolate oat biscuits (hobnobs), crushed 
75g butter 
2 tbsp clear honey 
4 bananas, peeled and sliced 
400g full fat cream cheese 
5 tbsp icing sugar 
1 x 225g dulce de leche or canned caramel
good pinch of salt
25g dark chocolate, grated

Place the crushed chocolate biscuits into a large bowl. Melt 25g of the butter in a frying pan, then pour over the biscuits along with the sugar and mix well with a wooden spoon. Spoon the biscuit crumb mixture into a 23cm/9in springform cake tin and flatten with the back of a spoon. Transfer to the fridge while you get on with the caramelised bananas.

Heat the frying pan until hot then add the remaining butter and the bananas and fry for 5-6 minutes, until golden-brown on both sides. Remove the bananas from the pan and leave to one side to cool. Once cooled, arrange the bananas on top of the biscuit base, reserving a few to serve. 

Place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the dulce de leche or caramel and the salt. Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the cake tin on top of the bananas. Place in the fridge and leave to set for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.

When you're ready to serve, arrange the reserved bananas in the middle of the cheesecake and scatter over the chocolate shavings. Enjoy as soon as possible!

Comments

  1. Great recipe, banoffee is my personal favourite! And since I got my kitchen improved by home expert kitchens, I can't stop spending my whole free time in it, trying out new recipes and just having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts