Fabulous Fish Pie

I've had a craving for fish pie for a good few weeks now - I don't know whether it's the change in the weather or the fact that I've been ill and, having moved out of the family home, I'm after some home comforts.

Reasons aside, I bought myself a a pie dish and got cracking with a recipe... In the end I went with sweet potato mash as it brings, unsurprisingly, a bit of sweetness in contrast to the salty fish as well as upping the health factor. I add mustard and lots of pepper to the cream cheese sauce and a handful of fresh parsley. In terms of accompaniments, for me, you can't beat some simple but classic boiled peas. 

Fabulous Fish Pie
Serves 4-6

5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks 
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp milk (I used almond)
olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped 
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 
400g low-fat cream cheese 
200ml vegetable stock 
1 tbsp Dijon mustard 
600g fish pie mix 
10g fresh parsley, roughly chopped 
sea salt 
black pepper

Put the sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with salted boiling water. Simmer for around 20 minutes, until very soft. 

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat a little olive oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 4–5 minutes, until softened. Add the cream cheese, vegetable stock and mustard and cook gently over a medium heat, stirring, until the cheese has melted. Add the fish pie mix and simmer for 10 minutes, until the fish is nearly cooked through. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper and stir well. 

Transfer the fish mixture to a baking dish. Drain and mash the sweet potato with the butter and milk until smooth, then season with salt and pepper. Top the fish with the sweet potato mash and bake for about 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the top of the mash is starting to get crispy. Serve immediately, with simply boiled peas.

Comments

Popular Posts