Homemade Onion Rings

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this recipe may very well be my favourite of the four hundred or so posts on my blog... 

Onion rings, for me, are a real treat and therefore tend to be reserved for special occasions so when you order them and they're rubbish the disappointment is magnified. For that reason, and also because I like a challenge, I set about making the perfect recipe... Light, crispy batter that almost dissolves as you crunch through it, giving way to slightly sweet onion that's been just cooked and, for me, a good amount of salt and vinegar soaked into them.

Homemade Onion Rings
Serves 4, as a side

1 tsp fresh yeast 
400ml sparkling water 
200g plain flour 
vegetable oil, for deep-frying 
4 small onions, thickly sliced and separated into rings
sea salt
malt vinegar (optional)

Whisk the yeast and sparkling water together in a bowl. Add the flour and whisk to a smooth batter. Set aside for 5 minutes. 

Fill a deep-fat fryer or a large, deep, heavy-bottomed pan two-thirds full with vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 180C, or until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns golden-brown when dropped into it. (Caution: Hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) 

Dip the onion rings in the batter then lower them carefully into the hot oil (you may need to do this in batches). When the onion rings are golden-brown, remove them using a slotted spoon and season with salt and pepper. Drain on kitchen roll and then serve. I like mine with salt and a splash of malt vinegar.

Comments

Popular Posts