Sticky Toffee Yorkshire Parkin

This twist on a classic British dessert is exactly the sort of comforting, stick to your ribs food I miss when I'm at university. With the weather picking up and the summer on its way, this is the perfect end to any meal to enjoy with your family and friends!

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently went to Cocktails in the City and to go with their gorgeous Mai Tai (and dark rum in general) the Black Swan were serving up Yorkshire Parkin. Needless to say it was gorgeous! It really took me back to being a kid and it inspired me to go home and make my own. Me being me, I felt like I ought to take it up a notch and I came up with a dessert that combines my Northern roots (the parkin) with my absolute favourite British pud (sticky toffee pudding). A real family favourite and perfect for a crowd, this dessert can be totally prepared in advance so, go on, get your bake on!

Sticky Toffee Yorkshire Parkin
Serves 9

For the parkin:
110g self-raising flour 
pinch salt 
2 tbsp ground ginger 
½ tsp ground nutmeg 
½ tsp mixed spice 
75g/2½oz oat flakes 
175g golden syrup 
50g black treacle 
110g unsalted butter 
110g soft brown sugar 
1 free-range egg, beaten 
2 tsp milk
For the sauce: 
110ml double cream 
55g butter, diced 
55g dark muscovado sugar 
2 tbsp black treacle 
1 tbsp golden syrup
pinch of salt 
To serve:
vanilla ice cream

For the parkin, preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1 and butter a 20cm/8in square cake tin. 

Sieve the flour, salt, ginger, nutmeg and mixed spice together into a large bowl. Mix in the oat flakes. Put the syrup, treacle, butter and sugar into a small saucepan and melt over a gentle heat. Bring up to a simmer but do not boil. When the butter and sugar have melted, pour into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the beaten egg and milk to create a soft, almost pouring consistency batter. 

Pour into the buttered tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until firm in the centre. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out and cutting into 9 squares.

To make the sauce, heat all of the ingredients in a pan, stirring occasionally, until boiling the remove from the heat.

To serve, place a slice of parkin into each shallow bowl. Pour over the sauce and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

 TIP: The parkin is just as good on its own and it will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts