Gorgeous Gluten-Free Blueberry and Lemon Pancakes

Recently, I have been trying to cut out gluten where I can in my diet since it doesn't really agree with me and because I'm attempting to get relatively fit and healthy before I go on holiday. The problem is that I love most gluten-rich foods so it was time to find some alternatives...

So without further ado, I give you Gluten-Free Pancakes!! Yes, everyone's favourite American breakfast classic is now gluten-free and twice as delicious - I promise! These pancakes are light, fluffy and wonderfully balanced by the sweet and sourness of blueberries and lemons to provide the ultimate healthy breakfast. I like mine with a few dollops of pro-biotic yoghurt but crème fraîche or soured cream work just as well.

Gorgeous Gluten-Free Blueberry and Lemon Pancakes
Serves 2-3


20g teff flour
60g buckwheat flour
1 egg
2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
130g almond or rice milk (normal milk is also fine if you're not being super healthy!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
60g blueberries
sunflowe, vegetable or coconut oil, for frying

Sift the teff and buckwheat flours into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the syrup, milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well until well incorporated. Stir in the blueberries.

Get a non-stick frying pan piping hot. Put a teaspoon of oil into the pan and swirl around until the base of the pan is covered. Pour a ladle of the pancake mixture into the pan and allow the mixture to spread, tilting the pan around if necessary. Leave for about a minute until bubbles start to appear on the surface then flip over and cook on the other side for 30 seconds, pressing it down with a spatula so that the whole surface browns. Transfer to a warm plate and repeat with the rest of the batter.

Serve the pancakes warm with a squeeze of lemon or yoghurt/soured cream/crème fraîche.

Comments

Popular Posts