Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies

Today marks my return to university after the Christmas break and my departure from the well-stocked kitchen that I have been accustomed to at home. Even at university, I like to make time for baking because I often feel like I have deserved a treat after working hard all day. When it comes to 'uni-baking' recipes have to be quick, relatively cheap and require little equipment. These cookies are therefore perfect, especially since I usually have all the ingredients in the house already.

For me, the perfect cookie has a crunchy exterior but when you bite into it the centre is soft and gloriously chewy. These do exactly that as well as being mouth-watering little bundles of joy. As is often the case in my student house, these cookies didn't last very long and they got a big thumbs up from my housemates. Worth a go even if you don't think you're a peanut butter fan - these will convert you!

Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies

200g plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp salt
170g peanut butter
55g butter, plus extra for greasing
110g caster sugar
70g light brown sugar
60ml buttermilk
1 egg (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a baking tray with butter.

Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl.

In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter and sugars until well combined. Beat in the buttermilk, vanilla and egg.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, one third at a time, stirring well between each addition. Cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge for 30 minutes (while you do the washing up!).

Using a tablespoon or your clean hands, divide the mixture into 1 tbsp balls (around the size of a golfball) and place on the greased baking tray 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven and repeat with the remaining dough.

Cool on a wire rack before digging in!


Comments

Popular Posts