Classic Creamy Custard

I firmly believe that any warm pudding deserves a good covering of custard. As a child I really hated custard, but I think that had something to do with the industrial rubbish I got served in primary school. And when I finally discovered proper homemade custard I fell in love and since haven't looked back!

Homemade custard is second to none and is actually relatively easy to make. I have to admit that I have had trouble making it in the past, but that's because I have the attention span of a goldfish and custard really needs to be watched constantly.

However, there is a cheat. If your custard does mess up, it can be saved in a food processor! I found this neat trick online and felt like I had to share it with you. Thus, custard is foolproof and there's no excuse for buying the powdered stuff ever again!

Classic Creamy Custard
570ml/1 pint milk
55ml/2fl oz single cream
1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, yolks only
30g/1oz caster sugar
2 level tsp cornflour

Bring the milk, cream and vanilla pod/extract to simmering point slowly over a low heat.
Remove the vanilla pod (wash the vanilla pod, dry and store in jar with caster sugar to make vanilla sugar).
Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl until well blended.
Pour the hot milk and cream on to the eggs and sugar, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk.
Return to the pan and over a low heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened.
Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top with cling film to prevent skin forming.

TIP: If your custard splits and makes you pull this face:



Put it in a food processor and blend until smooth again. Genius!

Comments

Popular Posts