Rice Crispie Chicken

Today I write to you about a true food revelation. It's the end of term at uni and I have been desperately trying to use up all scraps of food because I *hate* waste, especially when it comes to food. So on my last night in halls, I found myself with a chicken breast, some rice crispies, light mayo and my herb collection. Sounds bleak, right? Wrong.

As is often the case, I took to Google because I new there had to be some kind of crispy chicken recipe out there that involved rice crispies and low and behold there was! I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly, adding a bit of a kick since I'm a bit of a spice fiend. 

And... the results were GLORIOUS! I have never experienced crispiness like it! The mayo keeps the chicken moist whilst making sure the rice crispies stay put. What's more, if you use light mayo the calorie content is almost half that of chicken nuggets. This recipe is ridiculously cheap, especially if you use supermarket home brand rice crispies, and can be put together by anyone - a must try!

Rice Crispie Chicken
(1 chicken breast makes 6/7 nuggets)

1 tsp oil
1 chicken breast
medium bowl, half full of rice crispies
2 tbsp (light) mayonaise, on a plate
salt
pepper
chili powder (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with foil. Grease the foil with the oil. 

Using your fingertips, crunch up the rice crispies slightly.

Add salt, pepper and chilli powder (if using) to the mayonaise and stir together.

Using kitchen scissors, snip the chicken into chunks and place in the seasoned mayonaise.

Cover each piece in mayonaise, then drop into the rice crispies.

Shake the bowl making sure every piece is covered.

Carefully transfer the chicken to the baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning over half way through.

Serve with chips, salad and condiment of your choice! (I went for sweet chilli sauce!)

Comments

Popular Posts